Week 7- Housing & tintable textures!


Finished iterating and exporting the anim cycles, and did some tintable housing textures. Learning what size texture compression and filetypes particular to SOE's engine, and hoping that when I've learned and become an expert after the internship the team would rather hire me than hire someone new and train them how it all works, since the game has been out for a long time the directories are very populated and somewhat confusing!
Tintable textures are completely new to me as an animation student but even the other game art intern didn't know what it was. In FreeRealms the game is designed so the user gets to customize as much as possible, and tintable means the user can choose any color they'd like but still look like a set material (ie concrete, tiles, pebble stones, etc), so the map looks somewhat like an alpha map but instead the white is what is color-changeable. I'm proud to say I made my first tintable texture and it looks pretty good!
 An EXAMPLE of a tintable housing object- the player would have been able to change the blue parts, but not the wood color because it was omitted from the tint map.